Friday 10 April 2020

Unniyappam

Unniyappam is a Kerala speciality sweet snack. Different people make it different ways. Some uses wheat flour. In my recipe, I have used only rice powder. If you wish, you can add 1/2 cup wheat flour. Also, I have added grated coconut as I couldn't get chopped coconut pieces. Also, for banana I used normal banana since there was no small banana available here. If you can get small banana, thats the best to use.

In fact, I don't like eating hot unniyappams, I know this might sound weird but since born and bought up as an NRI, we used to get unniyappam refrigerated from India. My memories of unniyappam is so cold ones hehe. So my favorite is the one kept in fridge :D
Ingredients:
Rice Flour                     2 cups
Jaggery melted             1 cup
Ripe Banana                 2 large                 
Black seeds                   1 tsp
Cardamom powder       1 tsp
Baking Soda                 1/4 tsp
Salt                                a pinch
Method:
1. In a bowl, heat jaggery with 1/2 cup water. Melt, sieve and keep aside.
2. Grind the bananas into a paste and keep aside.
3. In a pan dry roast rice powder for 2 mins.
4. Now in a bowl, add rice powder, melted jaggery and banana paste.
5. The batter will be very thick, so little by little add some water to get the right consistency.
6. I added around 1 cup of water. The batter must be just pourable consistency, it shouldn't be too thick or too thin.
7. Keep this for 20 mins to rest.
8. After 20 mins add cardamom powder, baking soda, salt and black seeds and mix well.
9. In the unniyappam pan, heat coconut oil, the oil must be 3/4 of each cups.
10. When the oil is heated, pour the batter and cook for the sides well.
11. Insert a tooth pick to see if its cooked. The toothpick inserted must come out clean.
12. When done, move the appams on to tissue paper to drain excess oil. Serve hot with black tea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment